Wailoa River State Park & Recreation Area,
and Wailoa Center Cultural & Arts Exhibits
Wailoa River State Park & Recreation Area
* Large 130 acre State Park in the middle of Hilo.
* Waiakea Pond is actually the dominant feature of the park;
Wailoa River flows through Waiakea Pond to the ocean.
* Park runs along Highway 19 / Mamalahoa from old downtown Hilo (at Ponahawai St.) to Banyan Drive, and mauka several city blocks from the highway.
* Eastern edge of the park is several blocks from Hilo Farmer's Market. This area is mostly flat, grassy fields. A few blocks further on is the King Kamehameha State and Waiakea Pond.
* There are some fun "humped" footbridges that will take you across parts of the pond.
* Boat ramp and boat fishing in Waiakea pond permitted with restrictions.
Information services, including boat fishing info, at Wailoa Information Center (see below).
* Great place for a picnic, long walk, etc. Grab a plate lunch and head to Wailoa River Park!
Wailoa Information Center
*The Visitor and Information Center at Wailoa Park has cultural exhibits and rotating art displays from local artists.
* Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 am–4:30 pm; Wednesday noon–4:30 pm;
Closed Saturday, Sunday and State Holidays. Admission is free.
* Located at 200 Piopio Street, off Pauahi Street. (See map below.)